4x4Wire TrailTalk

97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st

Posted By: skered53

97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st - 07/14/09 03:54 AM

she make a ticking noise in park, no longer has reverse and will not shift out of 1st gear. Is there anything I can try or just call the x-mission peeps ?
This is the rig that had the radiator core failure last august which cuased the cooant and x-miss fluid exchange. I replaced the rad and flushed the tranny, seemed to fix the problem. I might have put 6K miles on it since.
Any ideas ?? is it dead or should I pull the pan and look for ??? I pulled the pan with the prior incident, there wasn't any chunks of stuff in it. drained a quart today, still no chunks.
Posted By: Greg_Canada

Re: 97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st - 07/14/09 05:18 AM

how much did you flush the tranny? my dads did the same thing and we kept flushing till it was clean. I think his mechanic used a power flusher, then again after a week.
Posted By: Adam F

Re: 97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st - 07/14/09 05:33 AM

What does the fluid look like?
Posted By: skered53

Re: 97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st - 07/14/09 06:02 AM

back in August I flushed it it about 8 gallons of fluid, just poured it in real slow until it came out ruby red with no bubbles. Then I changed a gallon every 1000 miles for the next 3 gallons, the stuff is still ruby red with no bubbles.
right now the fluid looks new, on my fingers and on a rag. the quart I drained into a cottage cheese container has a slight darker tint, ie I cant see the bottom on a 6 inch container, it does not smell burnt.
Posted By: Greg_Canada

Re: 97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st - 07/14/09 02:02 PM

Might have to go to some pro's for that. eek.
Posted By: Adam F

Re: 97 4 rnr tranny, no revers, stays in 1st - 07/14/09 05:19 PM

I agree.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk