4x4Wire TrailTalk

Jeep Stalls and Dies

Posted By: josephelk

Jeep Stalls and Dies - 10/03/09 11:24 PM

I have an 89 YJ that had a 4.2L in it and I replaced it with a 4.0L from a 91 Cherokee a couple of years ago. Well it ran fine but now when it warms up or when it gets completely warm it dies whenever I come to a stop? What could it be?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Posted By: BigJim

Re: Jeep Stalls and Dies - 10/04/09 02:46 AM

Does it start back up and idle when it restarts? Usually hot bad idle would cause me to look at the IAC first..
Big JIm

Re: Jeep Stalls and Dies - 10/04/09 02:49 AM

Yes I can start it right back up and it will idle great, then when I stop again it will die on me?
Posted By: MartySoCal

Re: Jeep Stalls and Dies - 10/04/09 02:09 PM

Do you have the vehicle speed sensor connected? Is it working? Can you pull any codes? An inop VSS with Mopar 4.0l EFI will cause stalling as you come to a stop.

You might try cleaning the throttle body bore and blade, too.

Re: Jeep Stalls and Dies - 10/06/09 03:48 AM

Thanks,

Yes the speed sensor is working and no I don't have away to pull codes. I might go buy a cheaper type code reader and see if I can pull some codes off of it. I have tested and cleaned everything that has been suggested? could it be the cam sensor?

Thanks again,

Joe
Posted By: MartySoCal

Re: Jeep Stalls and Dies - 10/08/09 01:39 AM

Unlikely, the engine won't run at all without a cam sensor signal. How are you sure that the VSS is working?

You don't absolutely need a scanner with OBD-1 Mopar EFI ('91-'95). The codes can be read by cycling the key to the run position from the off position three times, leaving the key on the last time. Then you count the check engine light flashes to get the codes. There will be two digits. It will flash the first digit, then pause, then flash the second. If there are more than one code stored, there will be a longer pause, then it will flash the next code. All the codes will be two digits. You will always have a code 55, it is normal when the PCM is working.

If you don't have a check engine light connected, find the wire from the XJ PCM harness that used to operate the stock check engine light, it is a thin black wire with a pink stripe. Connect a low watt test light to the wire on one end, and the other to the battery positive. The test light will act as your Check Engine light temporarily.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk