4x4Wire TrailTalk

Need a better axle shaft remover

Posted By: danz91crx

Need a better axle shaft remover - 01/12/15 03:27 AM

Was trying to pull the rear axle shafts on a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero. Removed the 4 bolts holding it to the axle housing and proceeded to attach my semi home made puller to the hub. I had a harbor freight blind hole bearing puller as my only slide hammer. I attached it to the hub with a piece of angle iron with 3 holes in it. Two hole on the outside for wheel studs across from each other to go through and on in the center to attach the 3lb slide hammer. After an hour of beating on it and it not budging I gave up. Even tried heating the housing a bit with propane torch. Any suggestions on what exactly I should get to do this right?
Posted By: 4x4Wire

Re: Need a better axle shaft remover - 01/13/15 12:57 AM

Is there a retainer in the diff that keeps the axle in place????

Re: Need a better axle shaft remover - 01/13/15 07:51 AM

No, they are suppose to come out when unbolted. Its got the cover/diff assembly on the front pinion side and there would be no way to get at retainers if it had them.
Posted By: 4x4Wire

Re: Need a better axle shaft remover - 01/13/15 10:13 AM

Have you done a site search for hints others have posted? The Mitsubishi section does have several faqs that may help. There are several very knowledgable guys with Mitsubishi experience.

Re: Need a better axle shaft remover - 01/13/15 07:39 PM

Yeah, I did look and did a site search with google for a post also have the factory service manual. Looks pretty straight forward I think its just that I maybe need to use better tools. Like a 5-10lb slide hammer might work rather then my 3lb. I'll try asking in the Mitsubishi section

Thanks
© 2021 4x4Wire TrailTalk