4x4Wire TrailTalk

I have a choice: Either lots of black smoke, or no power. PLEASE HELP!

Posted By: rollguy

I have a choice: Either lots of black smoke, or no power. PLEASE HELP! - 08/11/11 07:37 PM

I need an expert here. Any help would be appreciated! My truck has been smoking quite a lot lately (or it has always smoked, and I have not noticed it). I tried different ways to hook up the hoses to the injection pump (vac & pressure), but it smokes a lot when I have the hoses hooked up with constant vacuum (pressure is always there). It has plenty of power, but it smokes a lot on acceleration. I tried using the vacuum diagram on the core support to route the hoses, but it is not very legible. The way I understand it, the injection pump will add more fuel with both vacuum (below) and pressure (above) on the diaphragm. If only vacuum or pressure is present, it will not add more fuel. It needs both to move the diaphragm. I assume that more fuel is needed when the turbo spools up: more fuel and air= more power. The solenoid on the fenderwell appears to take vacuum away when the throttle is about half way (plunger switch on throttle linkage), therefore reducing the amount of fuel, but adding more air (turbo is spooled up). There is no (or very little)smoke with it hooked up this way, but there is a lack of power. If I put the vac hose directly on the pump (constant vacuum), it has good power, but smokes a lot! Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about this?
Posted By: JeffatTireBalls

Re: I have a choice: Either lots of black smoke, or no power. PLEASE HELP! - 08/11/11 07:46 PM

Mine is only hooked up with boost, the hose goes straight from the turbo housing to the top of the IP.
Posted By: rollguy

Re: I have a choice: Either lots of black smoke, or no power. PLEASE HELP! - 08/11/11 08:05 PM

Mine is only hooked up with boost, the hose goes straight from the turbo housing to the top of the IP.

Are you saying that you have no vacuum hooked up at all? Did yours come from the factory with all the hoses and solenoids?
My boost hose has a "T" in it for a boost gauge. Other than that, the boost side is stock. If I hook the vacuum up with the solenoid in play, it removes vac (and extra fuel) just about the time the turbo spools up.
Posted By: torquemonster

Re: I have a choice: Either lots of black smoke, or no power. PLEASE HELP! - 08/12/11 05:40 AM

diesels don't even create vacuum so I have no idea what your talking about...the only vacuum is from your vacuum pump for power brakes, it wouldn't control anything on the injection pump
Posted By: JeffatTireBalls

Re: I have a choice: Either lots of black smoke, or no power. PLEASE HELP! - 08/12/11 02:29 PM

Are you saying that you have no vacuum hooked up at all? Did yours come from the factory with all the hoses and solenoids?
My boost hose has a "T" in it for a boost gauge. Other than that, the boost side is stock. If I hook the vacuum up with the solenoid in play, it removes vac (and extra fuel) just about the time the turbo spools up.

Correct, the only engine part that works off of vacume is the EGR valve which I don't even have that hooked up. There are no vacume solenoids needed to run this motor correctly.
One boost hose goes to the IP and the other goes to the waste gate.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk