4x4Wire TrailTalk

Lowrance Baja 540

Posted By: 4x4Wire

Lowrance Baja 540 - 04/19/09 08:56 PM

Global Position System technology has been available to the public since the U.S. Air Force launched the final Navstar satellite into orbit in the summer of 1993. With the growing popularity of portable GPS receivers, maps and compass have become relics.

Read more about my Lowrance Baja 540 GPS at:

http://www.4x4wire.com/index.php?op...80:around-the-campfire&Itemid=84
Posted By: Oyaji_Jon

Re: Lowrance Baja 540 - 01/22/12 08:31 PM

John, I read your article as I'm considering a GPS unit for the FJ60. Since writing it, have you continued using the 540, or have you upgraded? What is your current unit, and how do you like it? I'm considering the newer HDS 5 and 7 units.

Re: Lowrance Baja 540 - 01/23/12 06:56 AM

I still have it installed and am satisfied with what it does. I like the hard mount and the large screen display.

In the jeep it works and the base maps do provide a high degree of detail. There are a couple of questions to ask yourself when selecting a GPS.

1. Do you want to use the street maps for turn-by-turn directions?
2. Do you want a portable unit for hiking or swapping between vehicles?

The Lowrance is not a unit for street maps and turn-by-turn directions.

Nor is it a portable unit. They do have portable units. I don't know much about them.
Posted By: Oyaji_Jon

Re: Lowrance Baja 540 - 01/23/12 07:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. We have a small Garmin for point A to point B turn-by-turn stuff in the city. I also have a hand held GPS Map 60C for carrying around with me. I was considering these units for the high visibility and outstanding Marine mapping that Lowrance is known for. I will get a cupholder mount for my kayak and use this unit there, as well. Finally, I have been reading about the modular sound system that can be controlled by this unit. I'd like to get rid of my stereo and change over to this iPod/Serious unit that Lowrance sells. I've heard that these are great units and am glad to hear that you like yours, as well.

Now to decide on the 7M or 5M. The price difference is staggering...

Thanks John.

Re: Lowrance Baja 540 - 01/24/12 03:23 AM

I look forward to hearing about your decisions.
© 2021 4x4Wire TrailTalk